Monday, August 15, 2022

THE EXAMINER NEWS ON THE RECENT GANNETT LAY-OFFS, A VERY DETAILED PERSPECTIVE BY ADAM STONE

Welcome to The New Everything Croton, a collection of all things Croton--our history, our homes, our issues, our businesses, our schools, our houses of worship--in short Everything Croton.

THE EXAMINER NEWS ON THE RECENT GANNETT LAY-OFFS, A VERY DETAILED PERSPECTIVE BY ADAM STONE

Latest Gannett Layoffs Sting Westchester, Communities Across U.S.
Adam Stone 

It was two decades ago, in late 2000, and I was 22 years old, seated in my goofy ill-sized suit in the corner office of a Head Honcho at The Journal News, interviewing for a position as a reporter.

Growing up on Long Island, anything north of New York City might as well have been the tip of Niagara Falls, all some vague, fuzzy “upstate.” I didn’t know Westchester County from North Country, New York.

If printed news, for example, wasn’t in Newsday, the Daily News or The New York Times, it generally wasn’t on my newspaper radar screen. So I was just genuinely making innocent conversation when I asked Mr. Honcho a question as my job interview was winding down.

“So what grade might you give The Journal News as an organization?” I asked, or something along those lines.

“A C-minus,” he immediately replied, with a wry grin.

In a moment, I’ll get back to my story, the brutal impact of Friday’s wrenching Gannett layoffs, and my illuminating conversation with Asher Stockler, a local government accountability journalist at The Journal News/lohud, and the secretary for the Hudson Valley News Guild, a union repping the editorial staff at The Journal News, the Poughkeepsie Journal and the Times Herald-Record.. READ MUCH MORE AT Latest Gannett Layoffs Sting Westchester, Communities Across U.S. | The Examiner News

No comments:

Post a Comment

AGENDA, PLANNING BD. MEETING 5/21, ADU, INDIAN BROOK CROTON GORGE OVERLAY, RENEWAL, SMOKE TOWN, MAPLE STREET, ETC.

Welcome to The New Everything Croton, a collection of all things Croton--our history, our homes, our issues, our businesses, our schools, ou...