Tuesday, September 12, 2023

OH THOSE LIBRARIES AGAIN-----SLATE WRITER REALIZES BANNED BOOKS ARE ACTUALLY PRETTY GRAPHIC

Slate writer realizes banned books are actually pretty graphic
By  Madeline Fry Schultz, Contributors Editor---September 12, 2023 08:38 AM

According to Democrats, children’s fundamental rights to education and autonomy are being attacked as books are banned across the United States. According to Republicans, a slew of sexualized graphic novels and “educational” titles are being pushed on ever younger readers. So what’s really going on?

A Slate writer set out to find the answer, at least as it pertains to the oft-banned title It's Perfectly Normal: Changing Bodies, Growing Up, Sex, Gender, and Sexual Health.

Aymann Ismail, a father of two, got his hands on a copy of the book, expecting that “there would be nothing in there that would offend my sensibilities.” Instead, he was shocked by what he saw. He writes:

“I had an involuntary reaction to seeing the nude cartoons, like I needed to make sure I was alone and hide the book. I skimmed ahead to look at the rest of the book briskly. On virtually every page I stopped to examine, I was confronted with detailed drawings of genitals. It felt like every page had a cartoon of a naked body.”

His article, which includes a disclaimer at the top over “explicit images” from the book, goes on to detail a disturbing level of nudity in a book meant for 10-year-olds. He continues:

“In the chapter ‘Making Love,’ there are three graphic images that show adult bodies having sex. There is no visible penetration, but it’s still eye-popping. I was sure I wouldn’t hand this book to my kids when they are 10. And I began to wonder if in my own allergy to the book-burning fervor, I had been a little too dismissive of the parents at the root of this fight.”

You don’t say!

But this revelation is good news:  MORE AT Slate writer realizes banned books are actually pretty graphic (washingtonexaminer.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

10/5 ---VOLUNTEERS NEEDED---TOWN OF CORTLANDT FAMILY FUN DAY

Welcome to The New Everything Croton, a collection of all things Croton--our history, our homes, our issues, our businesses, our schools, ou...